Violent crimes do not only cause physical injuries and death, they also can cause serious financial harms. Connecticut’s Office of Victim Services (OVS) administers a crime victim compensation fund for persons who have been financially impacted by violent crime. The program allows any crime victim to submit an application for benefits.
You may file a claim for benefits if you fall into the following categories :
- A victim of an eligible crime who received physical injury or death or was physically injured while assisting police during a crime
- A relative or designated decision maker of a homicide victim
- A relative of a sexual assault, domestic violence, or child abuse victim
- A child who witnesses domestic violence and is not related to the victim
- A person who is blind or has a disability and owned or kept a guide or assistance dog that was injured during a crime
You may file the claim on your own or seek representation from an experienced Connecticut Crime Victim Lawyer. I have assisted many crime victims in connection with a claim for these benefits. I have also handled appeals before the Crime Victim Compensation Commissioner.
If you would like a Free Consultation with a Connecticut Crime Victim Lawyer, please contact me directly.